- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
2) Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Whisk sour cream, milk, lemon zest and juice in a small bowl until well mixed.
3) Beat butter, honey and sugar in a large bowl (or your Kitchenaid) for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
4) With mixer on low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, then the sour cream mixture. Beat in remaining flour mixture until just combined.
5) Evenly divide batter into cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes (keep checking it, since ovens vary). Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn cake out onto cooling rack.
For the Lemon-Vanilla Buttercream, I used my usual Butter Vanilla Buttercream recipe, but replaced the butter flavor with lemon extract. I chose a light yellow and lavender color scheme for the cake, and used a fail-proof design-- a bunch of roses!