Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Cake

Hello, all! This past weekend, I celebrated moms (and strawberry season) with this amahhhhzing Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe! I wanted to do something special for my mom, but she's not a fan of the super-sweet butterceam. So I figured I'd try something with shipped cream-- and fresh fruit! This recipe is actually pretty easy. So easy, I made 2! One for my mom, and one for my Betrothed's mom.

I call this a cake because it starts with baking regular yellow cake. The traditional shortcake is more of a sweet biscuit-like dough baked to golden perfection and topped with strawberries and whipped cream. That is also very delicious, don't get me wrong (perhaps I shall try that recipe this summer as well), but I didn't want to fiddle with biscuit dough. This past weekend, I also had a graduation cake to make with Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Turned out awesome! And it made the 1.5 hour trip to Richmond, frozen and packed in a cooler!
VCU- my alma mater!
So, to make this strawberry-layered treat, start by baking yellow cake (I made 8" rounds). Then while the cakes are cooling, wash and slice your strawberries (about a pound container per 8" cake).
Then add some strawberry glaze, usually found with the strawberries in the grocery store. The glaziness is up to personal preference.

Set that aside. Time to whip up some whipped cream! Pour in 2 cups of heavy whipping cream into a chilled mixer bowl (make sure the whisk attachment has also been chilled). Then add about 5 Tablespoons confectioners sugar (more or less based on how sweet you want it) and 1 tsp vanilla extract.Then whip to stiff peaks!

Split the cake layers then place one split layer on the cake board and place a 4" wide plastic band (found in cake supply stores) around the cake tightly. Then secure with tape. Add a layer of the glazy strawberries (1/2 the mixture) then place another cake layer on top. Then add some whipped cream...

Then another cake layer. Then the rest of the strawberries, then the final cake layer. Fill the rest of the top with the whipped cream and add a border with a cupcake tip. Chill in the refrigerator to set the layers (or place in the freezer if you're short on time).

I added a bit of writing in red.
My mom loved her shortcake cake, and so did the rest of my family!

Mmmmm!
And a clean plate is always a great sign!
My mom had a very happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails