Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Two Church Anniversary Cakes

My work schedule has been wonky as of late. I've been training to bake at 3 in the morning then napping, then working on cakes, then napping again, then more 3am work. It's been tough, but I managed to make these two half sheet cakes over the course of 2 days, and I'm quite proud of them. One was chocolate and the other was yellow cake. They both had my yummy  homemade butter-vanilla buttercream slathered upon them.












Chocolate cakes are very crumb-y so a crumb coat is VERY necessary. As you can see above, my white icing has been infiltrated by evil little crumbs. It's also good to have a little crumb bowl around if you're using the spatula method (as opposed to the large pastry bag method) of spreading buttercream onto a cake so you don't contaminate the whole batch of icing.

 After cooling the cake for about 15-20 minutes in the fridge, I put my second coat on. Since I don't have one of those little scraper things, I used what I had: a fondant smoother. It actually works pretty well!

This is my finished product complete with double border and roses.


This is the yellow cake. I didn't need a crumb coat with that one, but if you look closely you can see a few rogue crumbs that broke loose... hmph. But it's all good. In the grand scheme of things, I like how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails