Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping

Good evening, readers! I know you're thinking "Pumpkin!?!? In January!?" Well, as you may already know,  I love love love pumpkin, so I'm always ready to jump at any opportunity to bake and eat it! So this time, I contributed to a pot luck with this delicious dessert. The friend who was throwing the pot luck suggested I make the pie since she and her fiance could not get enough of it when I made it for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

I originally got the recipe from a fellow Virginia Beach blogger at How to Eat a Cupcake. It was adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. She used a homemade pie crust in her recipe but I cheated with 2 regular 9" frozen pie crusts, which works just as well. I made 2 pies this way, or you could use one deep dish crust and make one thick pie. But I liked the fact that I could keep one and leave the other at the pot luck.

  • 1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 slightly beaten egg
  • 1/4 c canned pumpkin
  • 1 c evaporated milk
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1/4 c packed brown sugar (I used dark brown)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 c chopped pecans 
  • 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp butter, softened
*Note: I doubled the streusel  topping recipe because I made 2 pies.*

1) In a mixer, beat the first four ingredients on low to medium speed until smooth.
2) I chilled the mixture in the refrigerator fro 30 minutes. (I put mine in a separate bowl so I could reuse my mixer bowl).
 3) Preheat the oven to 350. Pour the mixture into the bottom of the pie shell(s)
4) Mix the next 6 ingredients until smooth in a mixer.
5) Carefully pour the pumpkin mixture over the cream cheese.
6) Cover the edges of the pie crusts with foil to prevent over-browning (aka burning) then bake for 25 minutes.

7) Remove the foil and bake the pies for another 25 minutes. Meanwhile, I chopped up my pecans and mixed the final 4 ingredients to make the pecan streusel topping.
8) Sprinkle the topping onto the pie(s) and bake for another 10 -15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the pies comes out clean.

And the hard part is having to wait 1 to 2 hours for the pies to cool on a wire rack. But then you get to have this!
Yummy! The perfect complement for this pie would be either fresh-whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I think I'll have a slice right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails