Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Spongebob Squarepants Birthday Cake

Hello, all! I just noticed that my blog has just reached 2,701 views. Yay! Thanks, everyone!

For my first cake of the new year, I had a Spongebob-themed quarter sheet for a first birthday. I don't have much experience with the cartoon (I might have seen an episode or two), but I know the two main characters are Spongebob (of course) and his buddy Patrick.

I started with a layer of chocolate and a layer of yellow cake (my client's preference) and filled it with vanilla buttercream.
Then I covered it in a bluish-teal to look ocean-like...
While the buttercream was setting in the refrigerator, I looked up some images of Spongebob  and Patrick and started mixing my colors (and there were a lot of them).

As I usually do with my other hand-drawn designs, I scored the design in with a sharp tool then went over it with the appropriate colors. I heated up some water in a mug and dipped my spatula in it, so I could smooth out the surfaces. And after some time and patience... voila!




I mixed up a bit of "sand," which was some brown sugar and white sugar (a bit more white than brown) so I could fill in the bottom of the scene.
And here's the finished cake! I had to look up some screen shots of the show to figure out the designs in the background, then I added some seaweed and coral on the sides!


The cake was a huge success, and I was excited that it turned out the way it did (I had made several attempts at Spongebob's face before I got it right!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails