Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Subway Sub Cake

Hello, all! This new cake here reminds me of the many years I spent working in a deli. It all started when I worked at Schlotzksy's Deli for about four years (my first job), then I also worked in the deli department at Harris Teeter (a grocery store chain on the east coast). I must say, making this cake was much more fun than putting together a real sandwich!

I started with a marble cake baked in a quarter sheet pan. I cut the cake in half lengthwise to create a top bun and a bottom bun. I iced the bottom bun in a light brown buttercream (just a basic vanilla) and also iced the top, so that the "toppings" would have something to stick to. I cut up little pieces of pink "ham" and folded it over like they do at Subway (or most delis, really). Then added a layer of buttercream for "mayonnaise."
Then I rolled out green fondant and shredded it up to represent my lettuce.
Next came the tomato slices. I rolled out 1/4-inch thick red fondant and cut whole circles. Then I cut the circles in half and used a Wilton tip 101 to add seed detail.
I added a couple of "yellow American" slices (brushed with vanilla flavor to give it a shine) and I was ready to put the top bun on.
I also added some brown food coloring the edges of the ham!
As for the board, I covered it in Subway paper, but I also glued a crumpled wrapper on it to make the cake appear like a freshly-opened sammich.

Even though those deli jobs weren't my favorite, I met a lot of awesome people that I'm still in touch with, and that's much more important. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails