Feel free to email any news, videos, recipes, or just about anything to mysweetdiversion(at)hotmail(dot)com!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Double Birthday Week! My Brother's Redskins Cake

For my brother's birthday cake, I had no clue what to do at first! Then I remembered his favorite football team-- The Redskins! He hasn't had a Redskins cake in over 10 years, so I thought it was safe to choose that design. I started with 2 8-inch layers of strawberry cake (his favorite) and iced it with the leftover fluffy cream cheese buttercream from my mom's carrot cake. I chilled it in the freezer for half an hour, then I started to score the logo onto the top of the cake. At first, I had gotten the Redskins logo mixed up with the Chicago Blackhawks logo, so I thought I had to mix a bunch of different colors! I'll give you guys a moment to shake your heads...

So after I figured out what the right logo was, I scored the design on the top then mixed up my colors. I filled in the scored design then used an offset spatula dipped in hot water to smooth out the surface. I used my brother's mug as a reference.
I think mine looks a bit angry. Oops!
I added the burgundy curls on the sides to sort of hide the transition from white to golden yellow. It worked out well!
My brother was surprised by the design, and he loved it!

Oh, and my family calls him Junior because his name is George, which is the same as my dad's name. Yes, our names are George and Georgette. Now, I'll give you a moment to chuckle...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some feedback! Watch the language, though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails