First off, I must say that this year has flown by! I can't believe it's Christmas Eve and there is a week left in 2011! Where has the time gone!? Hopefully next year won't fly by so quickly...
So this holiday season, I have decided not to do gifts in order to get my bills paid. As Mrs. Lovett said: "Times is hard." So instead of making meat pies out of alley cats, I'm making cookies!
For the Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies, I used Paula Deen's recipe. This was quick and easy since the base was chocolate cake mix.
- 1 8-oz brick cream cheese, room temp
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 18-oz box moist chocolate cake mix
- confectioner's sugar, for dusting
4) Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350. Roll the dough into tablespoon-sized balls.
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves (I substituted nutmeg)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 c dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest (or orange)
2) In a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until blended.
6) Preheat oven to 375. Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7) Place one portion of the dough on a floured surface and roll out to 1/4" thick.
Cut cookies into whatever shapes you choose.
These cookies are going to go in cute little Christmas Chinese food boxes for gift-giving!